Tuesday, December 4, 2018

1372 Designs: Unique and Creative Shop


Still thinking of gifts that you want to give this Christmas? 

Whether for exchange for your monito or monita and a surprise present for your loved ones, make it extra more special by giving them something from recycled materials but at the same time, locally made. You can find and buy one at 1372 Designs.

I was very happy and privilege to meet Sir Seb, co-owner of Kariton 1372 Designs. Our first interaction was during the Philippine Romance Convention and I fell in love with his lovely and inspiring cover notebooks. I bought one and even promised to visit his physical store so I could buy another set.

I finally had a chance to drop by their actual shop of 1372 Designs when we had a Romance Writing Coffee and Conversation last September.

First meet-up


When you ride an LRT, 1372 Designs is just a walk away from Carriedo station.


Look for HUB Make Lab at First United Building. It is the first store that you will see when you enter the area.


Aside from their uniquely designed notebooks that range from small to large, you should check out their other wonderful items like sketch pads, notepads, postcards, stickers and bookmarks to name a few.




1372 Designs' products started from as low as 15php for their stickers to almost 500php for their sketch pad.


I was grateful that I was given a chance to interview Sir Seb and get to know more about their awesome store and products.

Here is my short but meaningful interview with Mister Eusebio De Jesus or Sir Seb:

Pau: What is the meaning of the name behind Kariton 1372 Designs?


Seb: Kariton is actually the name of the brands that we are trying to make. 1372 is like an umbrella coup that when you search in google, it's already there. 1372 is actually the ending of our birth years, mine, my wife and my two daughters.

Pau: Wow! That's so cool! When were 1372 Designs started?

Seb: Officially, it was registered in Singapore in 2010 while my wife and I assigned there. We started at Paranaque and participated in bazaars. Back then, we only sell origami boxes and folded stars in a bottle. Surprisingly, when we came out with own version of picture frames it was sold-out. We moved to repurpose cans like putting stuff toys inside.

One time, we go around our residence area and we saw thrown boxes, papers, and magazines that are good quality. We started to pick them up because sayang naman. That's where the notebooks started. We saw a supplier at Singapore who sells the recycled paper. I began binding notebooks and we don't print the designs. I draw it one by one.

Pau: But, when did you actually started here at the HUB?

Seb: We were here two years ago (2016). We joined the Saturday Feature Market, which was one of the most visited bazaars. We like the outcome. When we were given the opportunity to have a physical store, we grabbed it. The rent was also cheap.

Pau: That's so nice... You talked about your designs, where did you get the ideas or inspiration?


Seb: Initially, I got the idea from a local store in Singapore and I told myself, I like something like that. I got it as well from Papelmerotti and from another entity called Kariton. It was a huge store at Rustan's Makati. They also made handmade paper stuffs like stationeries.

Pau: Aside from kartons, what materials do you use with your products?

Seb: As much as possible we are trying to use recycled papers and of course, repurpose materials like used illustration boards, shoe boxes, and old notebooks. We rely on our kid's projects and we asked for help from our friends in Singapore like the things that they didn't use anymore. Its hard to find here good quality because we have competitors, the scrapers. Nowadays, we buy craft papers. As long as we know that it is recycled.
Pau: I'm quite curious, how long would it take for you to create or finish one product?



Seb:
In terms of assembling, it takes me one day. I can do the cut-outs in 20-30 minutes. When I say assemble, I have to punch the hole, bind and trim them. The design itself, I have to think. I'm thinking of themes because Filipino like it. We usually like Fanmade themes like Star Wars. I'm a Star Trek fan and I'm planning to come out with few designs. But, still, the overall design should be Filipino heritage.

Pau:
That sounds fantastic! Are you planning to expand? Like other branches?

Seb:
For now, our finances are not enough yet we have a consignment at the moment. We have tie-up though with Craft Central at Sm North and Vertis North.

Pau:
Yes! I saw your products there. Do you have an upcoming event?


Seb: We will attend a school event on Dec. 11.

Pau:
Awesome! For my last question, if you will give an advice to those who are into crafting and also want to start a business, what would it be?

Seb:
Start a market first. You have to join bazaars like look for a good venue. Here at the Hub, they have Saturday Market. You have to observe first and get the feel. Study the pros and cons. Check out the buyers. If you are familiar with it, then focus on those people who will be your customers. Put your character and twist in your products.

Thank you Sir Seb for the time!


Kariton 1372 Designs is open from Tuesday to Sunday, 11 am to 10 pm at Hub Make Lab, Escolta Manila.

3 comments:

  1. Wow ang galing naman nito Ms.Pau nakakabilib si manong seb 👏👏👏. Amg detalyado ng blog na to Ms. Pau sayang at malayo ako sa place nila ang gandang pang gift ito sa pasko at ang mura pa. Gusto ko ung starwars huhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cris for appreciating my blogpost. I hope you can visit their stores in Vertis North and Sm North. :)

      Delete
  2. Ganda ganda nmaan po ng mga products nyo.

    ReplyDelete