Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Ulan: Not the Typical Filipino Film



When I saw Ulan's trailer a month ago, I was very excited to watch it. I saw an Urban Fantasy Romance that is something close to my heart. I promised myself that I will have to see it on the first day of screening.

But the Universe had a different plan! I couldn't believe that I got to witness it on its red carpet premiere night! Thank you Viva Films and Cinema Bravo!



 

It happened last March 11 at Sm Megamall, Cinema 1. It was my first time to attend a local advance screening and seeing the lead actors: Nadine Lustre (she is really pretty in person) and Marco Gumabao (very handsome). 



It was very memorable. Sadly, Carlo Aquino was not there.

Here are the reasons why Ulan should watch on its first day of showing (March 13):

1. Nadine Lustre
 
Photo from Andrei Suleik
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this feisty and talented lady but seeing her as Maya Landicho, I was amazed. Her character was different from the movies and shows that I've seen. I somehow saw myself in Maya who was lonely and was looking for someone to love and accept her.

2. Flashbacks
Photo from Cinema Bravo.com

Some people hate scenes going back to the past because most of the times they could not catch up or it would bring confusion to them. I actually like flashbacks every now and then.  
The flashback scenes were properly executed like Maya's Grandma who shaped her imagination with superstitious beliefs like tikbalang getting married under the rain and offering eggs to stop the rain.

3. Self-Love
Photo from Manila Standard

This film showed different kinds of love: family, work and the opposite sex. However, I believed that the most important thing that Ulan wanted to impart was self-love. Maya could give her love to men that passed on her life. She didn't care if she could get love from them or not. Yet, she forgot to love herself. She became desperate to find that person who can accept and love her in return.

4. Carlo Aquino
Photo from Pelikula Mania

He is indeed a great actor and I absolutely praised him more as he portrayed Peter Buendia. Carlo has very expressive eyes that even without saying, one could really feel his emotions. The back story about Peter in the movie was a surprise, I was speechless.

5. Ending
Photo from Pelikula Mania

After the film rolled, everyone in the cinema was waiting. Was that the end? I even heard someone commenting that she could not sleep because somehow the ending was hanging for her and another one kept on babbling that he didn't understand the last scene.

I love the ending. It was the perfect way to finish the movie and it achieved the lesson that it needed to leave to the mind and heart of the audience.

Photo from Daily Tribune

Ulan is visually pleasing and has the most satisfying ending for a Fantasy Romance film that I've seen so far. The cinematography was great, the wardrobes and the setting complemented to each other and the story was unique and beyond expectation. You have to check out the symbolism and representations of the young Maya to the grown-up Maya.

My tweet (re-tweeted by Viva Films)
Another tweet re-tweeted

Now, eveytime I think of Ulan (rain) it would be very different. 


PerksBeWithYou's rating: 10/10 (I will be watching the movie again because once is not enough!)


4 comments:

  1. I'll try to watch Ulan. Ang nakakainis dito Po sa Amin Ang mga sinehan puro Captain Marvel Ang Palaban. Kailangan ko pang lumayo ng sinehan para mapanood Ang Ulan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad to hear but please do watch it Miss Elizabeth. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Super curious ako talaga dyan �� kahit nabasa ko na eto review mo mas lalo i wanted to watch hahhaa sa trailer kasi there's something that's missing for me. I don't or not a fan of Nadine but i like her since her latest teleserye. Sayang naman wala si Carlo, siya yung isa sa pinaka reason why i like to watch hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for appreciating my review Miss Love! I hope you were able to see it already. :)

      Delete