Thursday, March 28, 2019

You Can Fly, Dumbo!

When I was in high school, my parents would rather want us inside our house, watching DVDs than playing outside. Somehow, I understood them because it would be difficult to look over for my young brothers who enjoyed hanging out with their friends.

I am familiar with most of Disney's characters, thanks to the DVDs that my brothers would watch for a couple of times and books that my Father would bring home from work. Probably, one of the most loved Disney characters ever created was Dumbo. Honestly, I read the book a couple of times when I was young but I only seen a glimpsed of the animated movie.

That's why when I got a chance to watch the live action in advance; I didn't hesitate to be one of the lucky people! It happened at SM Aura, Cinema One last March 25.  



Thank you 99.5 Play FM for the free movie tickets!

It was the first time to attend the red carpet screening at Aura and leaving my phone at the counter because gadgets were not allowed inside the cinema house.



I was very happy that my vlogger foodie friend, Miss Aileen joined me.


We had free popcorn and soda plus got to have a photo op with former radio jock and PBB Celebrity housemate, Jinri Park. I saw Elise Joson too but we weren’t able to have a photo with her.



Here now is my take with the movie and I won't compare it to the book.

1. Florida, 1919
Photo from FlickFilosopher.com
 
The beginning of the film took place here where a struggling circus team was making a tent for their performance. The owner Max Medici (Danny De Vito), I remembered him from the Matilda, another great children's movie that I watched. Visiting a circus was the best entertainment so Max chose performers whom he believed was unique and had captivating talent. He brought the very pregnant Dumbo whom he thought would add more spice on their show. I actually like the setting of the film, it was nostalgic to see.

2. The kids and the Flying Elephant
Parker Farrier the eldest was like Marie Curie who is smart and believes in scientific explanation. The youngest kid, Hobbins Farrier is a happy boy and the one who brought the feather.

Photo from Ars Technica

These two kids discovered that Dumbo could fly and taught compassion to the cute elephant.

3.  Colin Farrell and Eva Green
I could not remember Colin's character from the book but I liked how heroic he was as Holt Farrier, a former circus star who returned with a missing left hand.
Photo from He Does Things

He was indeed a brave soldier and a hard working Father to his children. Whenever I see Eva, I would always expect that she is a villain.

Photo from USA Today
She played as Collette Marchant, a superb aerial artist who truly showcased astonishing and heart pumping acrobatic moves.

4. DreamLand
Photo from Collider
 
It was definitely a place of modern technology. I liked the vision of Tim Burton with this theme park because it was creative, well-done and visually pleasing.

5. Dumbo's mission
Photo from IGN Africa
 
This adorable baby only wanted to be back to his mother. My heart torn into pieces when Jumbo had to be carried away, leaving the teary Dumbo behind. Yet, he got strength and inspiration from the Holt’s children that he could fly and be reunited with his mother.

PerksBeWithYou's rating: 9/10 (They were a few dull scenes but the film pulled it off at the end)
Photo from Entertainment Weekly

Dumbo is now showing nationwide!

No comments:

Post a Comment